edited by Allan Kaster
Paperback price: $19.99 e-book price: $6.99
This collection puts together 20 of the best science fiction stories about Mars published over the past two decades by top-notch authors of the genre and edited by Allan Kaster.
- "An Ocean is a Snowflake, Four billion Miles Away" by John Barnes The rivalry between two documentarians, filming on Mars, puts them in peril as the planet is being terraformed.
- "Martian Heart" by John Barnes A colonist provides a moving account of his life on Mars to inspire a new generation of Martians.
- "Mars Abides" by Stephen Baxter The first man to step foot on Mars recounts his life?s story as mankind ends its colonization of the planet.
- "The Burial of Sir John Mawe at Cassini" by Chaz Brenchley A gravedigger uncovers many secrets at the burial of a hanged British nobleman on a Victorian Mars.
- "Hanging Gardens" by Gregory Feeley Two young girls are desperate to survive on the surface of Mars after their commune?s underground compound is destroyed by comet strikes.
- "The Martian Job" by Jaine Fenn The greatest heist known to humankind, with many a double-cross, is pulled on the largest corporation on Mars.
- "The Rise and Fall of Paco Cohen and the Mariachis of Mars" by Ernest Hogan A corporation building New Las Vegas on Mars grooms a janitor for rock stardom to improve worker morale.
- "The Vicar of Mars" by Gwyneth Jones An elderly High Priest suffers hauntings after visiting an old, reclusive, wealthy woman on Mars.
- "Falling onto Mars" by Geoffrey A. Landis In this Hugo Award winning story, a penal colony on Mars violently clashes with a science base.
- "The Monoliths of Mars" by Paul McAuley Pilgrims, tourists, and locals visit the many monoliths of Mars to commune with their unknown builders through radio bursts.
- "Wyatt Earp 2.0" by Wil McCarthy A rough and tumble Martian mining town reconstructs a lawman from the Old American West to restore order.
- "Digging" by Ian McDonald A project has been undertaken to create a breathable atmosphere on Mars constructing a valley so deep that the planet?s thin atmosphere will be forced into it.
- "The Old Cosmonaut and the Construction Worker Dream of Mars" by Ian McDonald The lives of a young Indian construction worker and an old Estonian cosmonaut collide during the terraforming of Mars by quantum machines.
- "The Cascade" by Sean McMullen An affair between a shy robotics postdoc and an adventurous young woman change the destiny of the first landing on Mars.
- "The Martian Obelisk" by Linda Nagata In the Locus Award winning story, a robotic crawler threatens the remote construction of a monument on Mars, by an architect on Earth, as it approaches the obelisk.
- "The Emperor of Mars" by Allen M. Steele In the Hugo Award winning story, a laborer on a corporate-owned Martian colony transforms himself into royalty while coping with a tragedy on Earth.
- "Martian Blood" by Allen M. Steele An Egyptian-American astrobiologist travels to a Martian aboriginal settlement to prove his theory that life on Earth originated on Mars.
- "Terminal" by Lavie Tidhar An improbable group of astronauts are slingshot to Mars in cheap one-person, one-way jalopies.
- "How to Become a Mars Overlord" by Catherynne M. Valente An amusing step-by-step program enables potential potentates to find the right Mars to rule over.
- "La Malcontenta" by Liz Williams A young girl defies the conventional role she?s fated for on Mars.